Asatryan Law
For A Free Consultation
Asatryan Law
For A Free Consultation
Representing the injured in California and Nevada

What to do if you are hit by an uninsured or under-insured driver

As surprising as it may come to some, even today, there are a few states that do not require drivers to have auto insurance. That being said, in those states, drivers may be responsible for paying vehicle fees or a bond to the state should an accident occur. Then, there are drivers who, despite living in a state that requires auto insurance, either neglect to pay for it, let it lapse, or simply make no effort to obtain it.

When it comes to uninsured drivers, despite the risks associated with maintaining automobile insurance, it happens nonetheless. And, when these individuals are involved in accidents, it's important to note that they are still liable for the damages they cause. However, collecting financial compensation for damage or injuries caused by an uninsured driver is not easily done.

If you happen to be involved in an accident with a driver who is either uninsured or under-insured, depending on your own personal auto insurance policy, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. In this case, this remuneration would come from your insurance company as opposed to having to deal directly with the individual who hit you.

In speaking with your insurance company, they will want you to provide the other driver's information, including their name, address, as well as driver's license and license plate numbers. And, if you end up having to take on the driver yourself or through your attorney, that same information will be needed in order to file a legal claim.

Notwithstanding who's at fault for an accident, it's always important to contact your insurance company as soon as possible after the collision has occurred. Also, as a precaution, should the inevitable accident with an uninsured or under-insured driver occur, it's important to make sure your auto insurance policy covers you for such events.

Additionally, if you're involved in an auto accident with an uninsured motorist, it's important to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles immediately thereafter as well. In this particular case, you're not reporting the accident as much as the fact that the individual was potentially driving in violation of applicable state laws.

If you or someone you know has been in an auto collision with an uninsured or under insured motorist, a California car accident attorney is your best resource.

Source: FindLaw, "Help! I've Been Hit by an Uninsured Driver," Stephanie Rabiner, accessed March 03, 2017

Comments Loading...

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help?

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy